Monday, July 21, 2014

MEMORIES OF MY HERO: 27 Rainbow Trout

JOSEPH ALFORD SHIRTS
by Toni Binkerd Wyeth
(I will be adding to this post every so often with more memories)

Everyone in their life has someone who has affected them in such a way that will never be forgotten.  My maternal grandfather is my hero. When I think of Grandpa Joe, one of the first memories that I have is fishing at Moon Lake just outside of Duchesne, Utah. He and Grandma Jean (or Gram) had  a little white trailer that they used for many years. Who ever was camping with us, we would just socialize, laugh, get taught life lessons and play games. The game I remember most is Yahtzee. It was just enjoyable being there with him even if we were not talking. He would get "charlie horses" or leg cramps that would cause him a lot of pain. The first time that I saw him when he had one of these, it really scared me because I didn't know what was going on. Even though he was in pain, he settled my fear. 

He loved to fish. The rule he had (at least with me-maybe everyone BUT grandma) was that if you caught a fish,you had to learn how to gut the fish. It was intriguing but gross to me the first few times I had to clean ALL the fish I caught. He was very particular on how it was to be done. He would laugh watching me and of course give me suggestions. When I got older, I could and would still clean my own fish but he would do it many times just because..... I also had to learn to bait my own hook. 

I believe I was in elementary school when on one trip to Moon Lake, Wayne and Lucille Cochrane  (friends of grandpa's) came along. Grandpa fixed his line and threw it into the lake and then he fixed my line and told me to cast it out. It was a horrible cast.  I tried to get him to cast it out for me but he said that I had to learn. I cast my line out again and he went over to his line to wait for the fish to bite. It wasn't but a couple of seconds and I had a fish on my line. He came over and took it off the hook, baited the hook and then told me told to cast out again. He went back over to his line and behold I had another fish in a matter of minutes. This happened again. This time, he asked if I was teasing him.

 I must have found the sweet spot where my casting landed because that morning I caught 27 rainbow trout. I am being totally serious!!! I think it was after  fish number four that he didn't even try to fish any more. He was too busy helping his granddaughter. He totally enjoyed going through this experience with me. I still remember how hard he laughed every time I pulled another one in. Everyone else caught one or two fishes. I had caught the total of everyone's limit so we ended up not fishing all day like we had planned. The story doesn't end there because guess who had to clean the those trout? Me. That was the rule.... However, he being so nice, told me to start cleaning the  fish. I had cleaned some of the fish and he just smiled away watching me.... He did come over after awhile and helped me with the majority of the fish. As we cleaned, we just laughed and chatted about the event.

 The reason I told this story is for a few reasons... First, grandpa was there teaching me to do things myself even if I didn't want to. Second, he taught me that he was always there to help me if I need him...even if I didn't ask him. Third, he taught me to enjoy time with family and friends. The fourth lesson I learned from him was to take time and just enjoy watching my children and grandchildren. He enjoyed watching me being happy and enjoying life. Fifth, enjoy the moments when they come.

1 comment:

  1. This was great! And touching. You were - and still are - one lucky gal.

    ReplyDelete